donderdag 12 januari 2017

Eisbär



Recently I drew some Polar bears on ATCs. Drawing them reminded me of the song 'Eisbär' ('Polar bear') from the Suiss new wave group Grauzone.
In the early eighties - I was in my teens - they sang 'Ich möchte ein Eisbär sein' ('I wish I were a polar bear'), as this way everything would be fine, and, 'Eisbären müssen nie weinen', 'polar bears never have to cry'.
Thirty-six years later I think there are too much reasons for polar bears to cry. Their land is disappearing, and with it they themselves, too. 'Thanks' to ruthless multinationals and greedy politic leaders - the burden of present gas and oil drilling and the threat with more exploitation of the Arctic. 'Thanks' to our consumeristic behaviour, which leads to more production, excessive use of of energy resources. Continuously global warming...

Thoughts like this made me create this drawing (and turn off the light early, buy less, wear a sweater instead of turning the heater higher).
Sent to Ryosuke Cohen in Japan, hopefully he will spread the word image via his brain cell project.

On the back side and on the envelope I stamped these recently carved roosters who are looking back, too.



1 opmerking:

  1. That's a beautiful drawing, besides the sad background. I must say that I need two sweaters at home... and a hat! (Not now, but in the afternoon/night).

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen