woensdag 21 oktober 2015

Poem from the seventies



I must have been 12 years old when I wrote this poem and drew the black and white drawing. It became part of a printed class booklet, made by our class as a kind of 'goodbye' to the class and as a souvenir to our primary school time, which at that time soon would come to an end.
There's a lot more to say about this booklet, about the people I shared most of those 6 to 8 school years with, to things that happened and not happened in those days... But today I just share with you this 'early work'.

I copied it and added colours to it anno 2015. To send this page to Nicole in Belgium. I always love to send pigs and piglets pictures to her (and she loves to send wonderful animal collages to me in reply - thank you, Nicole!).



2 opmerkingen:

  1. How nice that you still have the booklet. I'm glad to verify that you draw even better now :D

    I like your pigs (not the best animal to be sent to Morocco...).

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Thank you, Eva! I still have to send you sheep, but as soon as the Year of the Pig will start I will draw some of these intelligent animals for you, too!

    I think it a pity that people regard these clever animals as not appropriate. The good news is that pigs aren't eaten then (and are not butchered the painful way many sheep, cows and chicken are).
    It is a historical thing, a former colleague from an other North African country told me. He didn't eat pork meat either, due to his religion.
    He explained to me why pigs are regarded in such a negative way: in former days there was no refridgerator, and as pigs easily can get a parasite in their muscle tissue (a nematode: Trichinella spiralis), by lack of hygienic preservation ways people got sick of eating the meat. Probably when the religious books would have been initiated in present times, pigs wouldn't have been regarded that bad as they are regarded now, he told me.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen